14 December 2012

Peanut Butter Cookies ... Revisited

This past weekend I decided to revisit a recipe I haven't made in years.  You know the one.  The really easy one.  It's simply 1 cup peanut butter (I used Winn Dixie's organic pb), 1 egg (I used organic), 1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup + 2 T. organic evaporated cane crystals), and 1 tsp. vanilla (I used organic). Roll into 1-inch balls, make the crisscross pattern by pressing with the tines of a fork, and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes (some ovens may require less/more time).

When I cut eggs from my diet, I stopped making these cookies.  I am not a fan of organic eggs from a store because the hens are "vegetarian fed".  That means soy and the old adage "you are what you eat" always comes to mind.  I am really not a fan of soy, with the exception of fermented soy.  If you can find farm fresh eggs where the hens have not been fed soy, great!  No such luck for me where I live.  I also just really do not like cooking or baking with eggs.  I am always worried about salmonella, and generally just hate the feel of raw egg on my hands period.  It took a pep talk with myself to even revisit making these cookies.  But, I'm glad I did because my whole family had a special gluten-free treat.



No comments:

Post a Comment