01 October 2013

Allow more time than you think you'll need...


One thing I'm learning quickly now that my oldest is on week 8 of our homeschool high school journey is I should have allowed for much more time on my lesson plans whenever there is a biology experiment (or more than one) on tap for the day.  Even though we've used Apologia science materials from the start, experiments are taking much longer this year than ever before.  Why?  Well, admittedly *I'm* finding it all quite fascinating, so I take look after look after look under the microscope.  My 2nd grader has been enthused about every experiment thusfar, so he takes time observing and drawing, observing and drawing, and observing and drawing.  Most importantly, my 9th grader has really taken his time with the microscope observations and the related drawings in his lab book.  What I thought would take maybe 1 hour ends up taking 2 to 3 hours instead.  Thankfully it's been fairly easy to make adjustments in my lesson plans and I'll be better prepared for this adventure the second time around.

1 comment:

  1. You are right. Don't rush those labs. They are rich and really fun if you take the time to dig in to them. Your kids sound like they love science.

    ReplyDelete